Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What Part of "Leave Me Alone" Don't You Understand?

I'm not sure how to handle this situation.

Earlier this week, I received a MySpace message from someone who has been instructed in the past not to contact me. I did not read the message; I deleted it.

This person and I have a mutual friend. I've already reprimanded this friend in the past for encouraging this person to contact me. I have a feeling this friend is doing it again. Perhaps they feel that since my mother died last January, it's "safe" to try to contact me again.

In the past, this person had an unintentional knack for getting into trouble and involving anyone this person hung around with. Now, I work for the Georgia Department of Corrections ... a law-enforcement agency. I am not supposed to have ANY personal or business dealings with inmates, parolees, nor probationers. A couple of this person's friends at the time fit into two of these catagories and put me in situations in which I could have lost my job.

This person also had a tendency to retell a story that wasn't what was originally said. For example, if I were to say, "We had almost 2 feet of snow," this person would retell what I said as, "Michelle said they had over 2 feet of snow." I won't go into further detail because it is not my intention to embarrass or shame this person.

The final straw was when this person and a couple of friends did something that my dad informed me was a federal offense. When I informed this person of what Dad told me, the reply I got was to the effect of, "They don't care; everyone does it." Because of this person's behavior, I was told by my family and a long time friend that I would be disowned if I have anything to do with this person. I lost my mother last Janary; I'm not about to lose my dad, my sister, my best friend, and my job just because someone won't take "leave me alone," for an answer.

I don't wish this person ill will. I honestly want this person to be happy, have many friends, and have a fulfilling, wonderful life. However, I want this person to never contact me again.

I have considered contacting my lawyer about getting a restraining order, but I'm going to wait and see what happens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know who ur talking about and she hasn't changed. u might want to dump the mutual friend too.

Michelle said...

I eventually did stop being friends with the mutual friend, but for other reasons. I don't like ending friendships, especially long-term ones. I got tired of being lied to. I got tired of her taking credit for my computer repairs and a web design I made for a joint web site. The camcorder incident and the situation involving a hospitalized message board moderator were the breaking points for me.