Thursday, October 06, 2005

Damn Lucky

Once again, my hometown has been spared from the ravages of a tropical storm/hurricane. This time, her name was Tammy. At this point, I don't know whether to consider it an act of kindness from God or worry that the worst is yet to come.

Our society has become so modernized, the absence of electrical power can paralyze a community. Just the absence of running water can render useless the simple things we take for granted. Take one or both of these things away, and the impact felt is immediate. You could have all the money in the world, and it will not help you one iota while you're in an area devoid of these two things unless you can leave to get what you don't have. Hope you have enough fuel in your vehicle; without electricity, you can't fill your gas tank at a gas station. Am I getting your attention now?

I've seen enough damage from past storms and hurricanes to have respect for them when they threaten our area. It perturbs me to hear people refer to these tropical sytems as "a little hurricane," or "a little storm." Tell that to someone who lost his home or loved-one to a flood from the excess rain brought by the storm. Tell that to someone who lost his home or loved-one to a tornado spun off from one of these tropical systems. Hey, I love watching a good thunderstorm, but even I know to do it from the safety of shelter.

I remember when then New York City mayor Ed Koch made the remark, "We scared the hell out of that hurricane!" back in October 1985. I don't remember the name of that hurricane. At 20 years of age, I was familiar with seeing the results of past storms because of where I lived and what I've seen on television. Instead of making smarta$$ remarks like that, he'd should have counted his blessings and thanked God that it didn't hit the New York/New Jersey area.

As foolish as Ed Koch's remark was, I'll still take him over New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin. If the people of New Orleans reelect him as their mayor, then they deserve him. He needs to quit grandstanding and get stuff done. Is he doing anything at all?

Some questions have remained unanswered in my mind:

1) Incarcerated inmates were released rather than transferred to other jails/prisons. Why weren't they put to work preparing the city for evacuation, then later help with the clean up?

2) Why were all those school buses still sitting in the parking lots before Katrina hit? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the press.

3) Why has the media been focusing on New Orleans and not report more on the devastation east and north of that city?

I hope all the elected officials everywhere take notes on what NOT to do the next time any-sized tropical system threatens our coastlines. In my observation of the incompetence shown by the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of Louisiana, it takes the feeling of helplessness to a new level and makes the arrival of future tropical systems even more frightening.

In the meantime, I'm counting my blessings and thanking God for sparing us from yet another storm.

No comments: