Monday, October 10, 2005

Bandwidth Theft

You would think people would quit being so stupid as to post a picture on their site, but hotlink it from someone else's site.

As I was surfing the net tonight, I was a witness to a site blatantly doing that. I was also made aware that the webmistress of the offending site also stole content (nearly word-for-word) from a similar web site. What bothers me is that the offending site was recently nominated for an award. You know, that is pathetic.

Now, I would LOVE to post the web address and expose the webmistress for the contemptible thief she is. However, I am a firm believer that what goes around comes around. It also helps to send an e-mail to the webmistress of the site her bandwidth is being stolen from, giving her all the web addresses for her to go check for herself. It will be her decision as to whether to pursue further action or not. After all, I'm just following what the Good Book says, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. In other words, I would want someone to tell me if my bandwidth was being stolen by another webmaster. It's theft, and it's wrong. You can't hide it because your HTML codes will give you away, so why do it?

Am I being a tattletale? You call it what you want. I'm reporting a crime and letting the victim decide whether to take action.

No comments: