Monday, August 17, 2009

PeTA Can Kiss My Big Fat Whale Butt

I had finished playing FarmVille in my FaceBook account while listening to the news on WJXT. I heard a news segment about a new billboard up in Jacksonville from PeTA. The billboard said "Save the Whales" and "Lose the blubber ... go vegan." It had a picture of a bikini-wearing obese woman in the foreground and a beach scene in the background.

Any respect I had for PeTA went out the window.

One of the reporters spoke with Ashley Byrne, a representative of the organization. She agreed that it was provocative, but it was to encourage women to lose the weight by becoming vegans.

Encourage? Outrage would be a more appropriate word.

An entry in Deceiver.com shows that I'm not the only one who was upset by this billboard. What is this, open season on fat people because it's now politically incorrect to make fun of and discriminate against anybody else? Deceiver.com went a step further and compiled a list of 'vegetarian' items from PeTA's web site that would not help anyone with losing weight.

According to Kim Hayes from the Orlando Sentinel, "I know the truth hurts, but this isn't the truth. And it all seems a bit harsh for an organization advocating the "ethical" treatment of living things, doesn't it?" This is from a health and fitness reporter. She certainly nailed it on the head.

Seems to me PeTA is more interested in being provocative in their message with their "in your face" tactics than actually having people digest their message in a non-threatening manner. PeTA's tactics have been called into question before. Two examples that immediately come to mind are (1) the alleged funding to defend those who have been accused of arson, and (2) the taking in people's pets who have to give them up, promising to find new homes for the animals, then euthanizing the animals and dumping the bodies in dumpsters. Links to other sites with this information are at the bottom of this blog entry.

People who know me know that I am an animal rights supporter. I support the Best Friends Society, ASPCA, and the Humane Society of the United States. I've also lent support to our local animal shelter and made various donations to animal shelters at other locations. There are way too many other animal welfare organizations out there who, in my honest opinion, do more good than anything PeTA has done that could counteract the proverbial face-slapping they've done to human beings over the years.

So like I said ... PeTA can kiss my big fat whale butt. With PeTA's big mouth, they can do it in one smooch!!

PeTA Workers Charged With Animal Cruelty
PeTA workers 'dumped 80 dead animals in skip'
PeTA Employees Charged With Animal Cruelty
PeTA and Terrorism: The Real Deal
PeTA's Dirty Secret

1 comment:

xxxevilgrinxxx said...

PeTA has quite the habit of being extremely offensive to women in its ads.
As in:
http://www.feministing.com/archives/016267.html

I'm all for not slaughtering animals or hurting animals without due cause but these people...sigh