Monday, April 24, 2006

My First Visit to OHS

Anyone who knows me know that the Okefenokee Humane Society (OHS) is an organization that I believe in with all my heart. After working on their web site for nearly a year, I finally got a chance to visit and meet the staff.

I was impressed. The place was so clean; if there were any odors, I didn't notice any. Bonnie and Kaye were busy with the phones or people coming in, but they still managed to chat with me in-between. When Mary came in, I was admiring her rubber boots. They weren't boring black, oh no! They were striped with bright spring-like colors. Totally cool!!

I witnessed a couple bringing in their dog that they reluctantly had to give up. It was an older dog, and he was too rough for their toddler son. The husband had to walk outside because he was on the verge of tears. My heart went out to him. His wife was taking it better than he was.

There's a dog that I saw whose hind legs are paralyzed. She's just as cute as she can be, so friendly and loving. A wonderful disposition. Just a huggable ball of fur. I wanted to take her home with me, but Munchkin wouldn't appreciate it. Because of the way this little cutie was dragging her hind end as she walked (and this little one can move fast, let me tell you!), the staff named her "Drag Queen."

We got the ball rolling in getting PayPal set up so donations can be accepted online. It will probably be the end of the week before everything is confirmed, and we get the PayPal codes put in place.

God bless the staff at OHS for what they do.

Please visit their site at http://www.okefenokeehumanesociety.org.

No comments: