Friday, January 05, 2001

The Worth of Web Awards

To get an award was to say that the recipient had something outstanding. Awards are to be earned, and only a few people would get nominated for an award.

Not in the case of website awards. Just because you have 50 or more web awards doesn't mean you have an award-winning website. Seems like everyone is either giving or receiving them. I've seen too many websites that have pages of assorted "awards" given to that particular website. I've seen websites that give awards to just about anyone that applies for one. Either one of those examples would make any award worthless.

At the urging of a friend, I tried getting into the website award thing, but I just didn't feel right judging other people's personal websites, plus I really didn't have the time to look at all the websites who applied. Besides, judging from the websites I had looked at, it seemed like all the webmasters were interested in was just adding to their collection. One of them had the nerve to scrunch my award out of shape to make it fit with the other awards on that particular page. I wrote a letter to the webmaster and told him to restore it to its original shape and size or remove it from his collection (would you shrink the Oscar just because it didn't fit on your shelf?). We eventually compromised, and I sent him a smaller award, but by then my discontent with web awards was peaking quickly.

The bottom line is: an award's worth is based on how hard you had to work to get it. The easier they are to attain, the less they are worth. In the case of website awards, quantity does not equal quality.

No comments: